Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day

I am totally unprepared for this holiday, totally. If I had been thinking, I'd have prepared some remarks about Lady Wilde, or Herminie Templeton, or some reviews stories by J. Sheridan Le Fanu or Rhoda Broughton....but I didn't.

Hell, I didn't even prepare any remarks about DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE, one of the handful of Disney films I can stand.

So anyway, have a beer, caterwaul "Danny Boy" at the top of your lungs, and enjoy the evening. And look out for leprechauns.



And if you're home and reading this (obviously, you are), click on the link to the Irish Journal of Gothic and Horror Studies, there to the right. Go ahead, it's worth checking out. I mean it.

I'll be back later with more fun stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well at least you ended with something Irish that I do appreciate. Being equal parts Irish, English, and German with a smattering of Scots and Dutch, but growing up in a house where my father insisted (despite evidence to the contrary) that he was 100% Irish and blasted the Irish Rovers' damned Unicorn song and Bing Crosby's "Danny Boy" ad nauseum for weeks on end has given me an intense prejudice against the day. Working in downtown Cleveland where the streets run green with beer (usually mixed with bile) every March 17 doesn't help my grumpiness. - Bill