Saturday, April 2, 2011

At the Phantom Ball...

Everyone's gathered in the ballroom, dressed in their bohemian finery.  The open dance and performances haven't quite begun yet, and latecomers are still trickling in, but as part of the opening entertainment, and to get the ball rolling, two of the best dancers show off a little while the rest sip their champagne or absinthe.



And that only sets the scene for a wild night...

I just had my first-ever tango lesson last night, as part of a weekend tango festival at the University of Maryland.  My friend Barbara and I signed up for the "Tango Bootcamp" which taught us quite a bit in a short period.

And same-sex tangoing is nothing unusual. While it raises eyebrows in this country, hardly anybody bats an eyelash at two men tangoing together in South America. From what I gathered in the comments on YouTube, these two guys are actually brothers who are popular tango performers.

I'm thinking of investigating the local tango community and seeing what it's like. There's a small queer tango subculture out there, too, so we'll see if there's any of that in Washington....

No comments: