Thursday, February 2, 2012

Dust & Corruption Calendar for February 2012


February is a cruel month. It's simultaneously short and long, with dreadful weather. As a children's book I once read said, "You keep waiting for the warm days to come, and when they finally come, you wonder why you waited." (Or something like that.) And it has Valentine's Day, my least favorite holiday. (Yes, I'm single again this year, but even when I'm seeing someone I hate V-day.)

So let's find some other things to do...

2/3 - Bigger Than Life: The Films of Nicholas Ray. Retrospective of the maverick director's work, including noted films noir as KNOCK ON ANY DOOR, IN A LONELY PLACE, PARTY GIRL, ON DANGEROUS GROUND....and more mainstream films like JOHNNY GUITAR, REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, and KING OF KINGS. Check the website for full schedule. AFI Silver Theater, 8633 Colesville Rd, Silver Spring, MD.

2/4 - Tilted Torch: Sweet Things: Burlesque, variety, music and comedy, in one fun evening. The Red Palace, 1212 H St NE, Washington, DC. Doors 9:00, showtime at 10:00. $10 in advance, $15 at the door.

2/9 - DCVariety Open Mic: My pals Mab Just Mab and Swami Yomahmi host an open-mic variety night at the Red Palace. 9:00.

2/9 - Corruption at Tammany Hall! My friend Albert Cadabra helps kick off a weekly night burlesque and variety. Tammany Hall, 152 Orchard St, New York, NY. 9:00, $10 admission.

2/10-12 - Winter Festival of Wonders, celebrating Baltimore's Station North Arts District. Lots going on over the three-day festival, all centered at Area 405, 405 E Oliver St, Baltimore, MD.

2/11 - Tassels & Champagne! My pals at the Gilded Lily troupe put on a Valentine's show, hosted by the dishy Mark Slomski. Creative Alliance, 3134 Eastern Ave, Baltimore, MD. I can't go, but if you want to, get tickets in advance!

2/11 - JUST IMAGINE, the early sci-fi/comedy film that's rarely seen. AFI Silver Theater, 2:45.

2/14 - Valentine's Day. If you think I should like this day, then ask me out and make it worth my while.

2/14 - Tainted Love! A break from the miseries of Valentine's Day, with my friends Trixie Little & the Evil Hate Monkey. (Really, I'm not blowing smoke when I refer to all these people as my friends...they ARE my friends. I know a lot of interesting people, some of whom are shockingly respectable.) The Ottobar, 2549 N Howard St, Baltimore, MD.

2/18 - Love-a-Go-Go! Burlesque & fun with Runaround Sue and Sugar Shack Burlesque, with the cutie Chris Chaos. The Red Palace. 9:00, $12 in advance, $15 at the door.

2/18 - Comic Strip! Comedy and burlesque, uniting two troupes, Twisted Knickers and Black Tassel Boolesque. State Theater, 220 N Washington St, Falls Church, VA. Doors at 10, $12.

2/18 - Third Annual Fund-Raiser Party. Art, science, and the occult meet and mingle at the Observatory, 543 Union St, Brooklyn, NY. 8pm, $20.

2/19 - TRANSATLANIC TUNNEL, a seldom-seen early sci-fi film. AFI Silver Theater, 4:00.

2/20 - THINGS TO COME, the early sci-fi classic. AFI Silver Theater, 4:00.

2/20 - President's Day. I'm off that day; who's up for fun?

2/21 - Mardi Gras! Carnivale!

2/24 - METROPOLIS! The restored, complete-as-possible print, with live music from the Alloy Orchestra. AFI Silver Theater, 7:30pm.

2/24-3/4 - "Die Fledermaus," Johann Strauss' operetta, from the Victorian Lyric Opera Company.  I plan on hitting that at some point; I need some operetta. At the F. Scott Fitzgerald Theater, 603 Edmonston Dr, Rockville, MD. $20.

2/24-3/4 - "From Shuffle to Show Boat," the latest outing from the IN Series. Cabaret salute to early 20th century Broadway, with songs from early black musicals and classic operettas. (A double-dose of operetta!) The Atlas Performing Arts Center, 1333 H St NE, Washington, DC. See the site for showtimes and tickets.

2/25 - THE BLACK PIRATE. The 1926 classic, with Douglas Fairbanks swashing his buckle, and live music from the Alloy Orchestra. AFI Silver Theater, 2:30.

2/26 - PARASITES: A USER'S GUIDE, screening of an experimental documentary, with Q&A with the director. The Observatory, 6:00, $10.

As always, if any readers know of anything, send me a message or leave a comment and I'll be happy to publicize it.

No comments: