Monday, July 23, 2012

A Bit More Quiet Time



Sorry, folks, I'm in the midst of cleaning house right now. I'm also doing a major purge of my book collection; there's lots of stuff I've loved in the past but no longer has much appeal for me. There's stuff I've outgrown and lost interest in, stuff I've picked up here and there and started to read but found I couldn't stand it, and stuff I just have no plans to revisit. There's also a number of books that I've loved in the past, but I know I'm not likely to ever have a chance to read them again. There's certain authors whose books I'm hanging on to; people like Sharyn McCrumb, Sax Rohmer, Peter O'Donnell, and Leslie Charteris, for instance.

I'm also proving a point to myself: that I'm not a hoarder. I got a little worried that I was turning into a book-hoarder, but it was actually quite liberating to turn them over to charity. Plus it makes more room in my apartment, makes it less cluttered, and it'll be less to move when I relocate to Baltimore, likely in early 2013.

And, well, it feels kinda nice to think that someone else will be picking up a book I once loved, and will lose themselves in it, and see my markings in it and wonder who I was. (There's a story there, that I'll tell someday.) Too bad I don't have labels that say, "Courtesy of Dust & Corruption" to put in each one! Maybe I'll do that with future books I donate. Especially ones that I've reviewed here, or are in the spirit of the blog.

My books are being donated to the Friends of the Montgomery County Library, at their book sale in the basement of the Wheaton Library, so if you're in the DC area and in the mood to scour for used books, head over there soon and maybe you'll pick up one of mine.

This is great inventory control, though. I should do this on a yearly basis. Anyway, back to the regular grind before too long!

No comments: