Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Dust & Corruption Calendar for December 2012

The year's almost gone, soon the snows and ice will be here. May be a while for me; it's 70 outside where I am. Total lack of holiday spirit here. But here's a list of upcoming events that might help. Or not. Don't get your hopes up.

A sad note: The Red Palace, my favorite club in DC and the site of many events I've plugged here in the past, is closing soon after the New Year. I'll be on the floor in the fetal position when that happens.

As always, Brooklyn's Observatory Room has a thriving schedule of fascinating talks; check it out here.

12/6 - St. Nicholas Day. If you observe that, I guess. If you don't, it's kinda charming. Look it up.

12/8 - Holiday Inn! The Pontani Sisters and friends (including my pals Maria Bella, Kay Sera, Sunny Sighed, and Bal'd Lightning, and occasional lust object Albert Cadabra) host a holiday-themed burlesque show. Wish I could go, I have a previous commitment, but if you're in the area, let me know how it was. The Ottobar, 2549 N Howard St, Baltimore, MD. Doors 9pm, tix $15, available here.

12/12 - Lord of the Pasties: The Two Tassels. Yes, folks, it's a Lord of the Rings-themed burlesque show, organized by my pal Mourna Handful. The Red Palace, 1212 H St NE, Washington, DC. Doors 8:30, tix $10.

12/13 - DCVariety: December Rocks Edition. A showcase of emerging variety talent in the DC area. Always a lot of fun. The Red Palace, Washington DC. Doors 8:30, tix $8.

12/14 - End of an Era Show. DC's Cheeky Monkey Sideshow does a blowout to honor the imminent closing of the Red Palace. The Red Palace, Washington DC. Doors 9:00; tix $10 advance, $12 at the door.

12/15 - Land of Sweets, presented by Burlesque Classique. A version of "The Nutcracker," only with bumps and grinds and discarded clothing. DC Arts Center, 2438 18th St NW, Washington, DC. Two shows on 12/15 and 12/16, 7:30pm both days. Tix $15, available here

12/21 - The end of the world, if you believe that bullshit about the Mayan calendar. Also the Winter Solstice and my parents' anniversary.

12/21 - Naked Girls Reading DC: Solstice! It's naked girls, reading holiday selections. What did you think it was? Actually some good readings going on. DC Arts Center, Washington, DC. Showtime 7:30pm, tix $20 and available here.

12/24 - Christmas Eve. I'll be sitting up late, reading ghost stories by the fireside. (Seriously, that's my tradition.)

12/25 - Christmas Day. I'll eat too much, as I always do.

12/26 - Boxing Day. Whatever.

12/27 - End Daze of the Red Palace. Staxx Burly-Q pays its own tribute to the soon-to-be-shuttered DC nightspot. Red Palace, Washington DC. Doors at 8pm, tix $10.

12/31 - Ball Drop III. The Red Palace's New Year's Eve blowout, with burlesque, comedy, music and more fun than you can believe. A lot of friends performing there, and some others in the audience, probably. Join me. Be my date. Please. (OK, yes, I'm still single.) The Red Palace, Washington DC. Doors 8pm; tix $35 advance, $45 at the door, but it may sell out so advance tix are recommended. Go here for more info.

No comments: