Saturday, February 16, 2013

A quick personal note

Sorry I've been quiet. The job has been a beast lately; we have a major deadline coming up and I've put in overtime on weekends because of it. And I had a truly horrible Valentine's Day...yes, I'm still single, but that wasn't it. My Aunt Edie passed away that day, and even though she'd been ill for a number of years (Alzheimer's), I was always very fond of her. She worked in the local library system and one tween summer when I was bored talked me into doing volunteer work there. I loved it; simply being around the books was great, but it also taught me the value of volunteering. She and I always had a connection; for years we had our private jokes and I think she got me better than most of my other relatives.

The last time I saw her was several years ago; she was in a nice retirement home and while the Alzheimer's was getting to be a problem, she was having a good day and knew and recognized me. We had a nice chat about old times, and a couple times just sat there smiling at each other in that way that people who understand each other do. I got a feeling that she was happy herself for that good day, to have a few lucid moments to spend with a favorite nephew.

The funeral will be a small affair on Monday, a hell of a way to spend President's Day, but that's the way it goes. I have a review to get up and the monthly movie, and I'll try to get that up tomorrow as I'm pinching pennies this weekend. I did drive up to Baltimore to look at a few neighborhoods...I'm going to focus on Mount Vernon and Charles Village, maybe Catonsville, and I may go back to check out Hampden. I need to make a phone call about some money, then start the search in earnest, and hopefully shortly after spring arrives I'll have a new apartment in Charm City.

So, onward and upward!

No comments: